Step One | Update your DNS settings
Log in to your domain provider and create the following two records in your DNS settings:
- For your root domain (e.g example.com), create an A Record that points to 184.108.40.206
- For your www subdomain (e.g www.example.com), create a CNAME Record that points to your root domain. Note, in most DNS providers, you can do this by pointing to the @ symbol.
Here is an example of how these records were set to launch our website under liveeditplatform.com.
Changing A/CNAME Record in popular DNS providers:
- GoDaddy - https://www.godaddy.com/help/change-an-a-record-19239
- Google Domains - https://support.google.com/domains/answer/3251147?hl=en
- NameCheap - https://www.namecheap.com/support/knowledgebase/article.aspx/319/2237/how-can-i-set-up-an-a-address-record-for-my-domain/
- Hostgator - https://www.hostgator.com/help/article/how-to-change-dns-zones-mx-cname-and-a-records
- It can take upwards of 24-48hrs for DNS changes to propagate and go into effect.
- Please ensure that the A Record for your root domain is only pointed to our above IP address. Having multiple A Records can prevent your website from being accessible.
- Do not redirect or forward your custom domains to your ".liveeditaurora.com" URL in your DNS settings.
- We do not require any other changes within your DNS settings, such as changing Name Servers, to launch your website.
Step Two | Add your custom domain to your LiveEdit website
- Log into your Liveedit website then click on the Account Settings tab located within the LiveEdit Toolbar.
- Click on the Domains tab.
- Within the Add A Domain field, type in your root domain (e.g. example.com) then click Connect.
- Set your root domain as the primary domain. The primary domain will be the main domain visitors see when visiting your website. To set this, please click on the Star () icon next to your root domain so it appears filled in ().
- Under the Add A Domain section, type in your www subdomain (e.g. www.example.com) then click Connect.
- Next, let's redirect your www subdomain to your root domain. Click on the small Edit icon () to the right of the www subdomain. In the pop-up window that appears, type in your root domain into the Redirect To field. Once added, click Update.
Please Note: Search engines recognize both versions of your website domain but selecting one version as your primary domain and redirecting all other domains to your primary domain, ensures all inbound traffic to your website is seen under one domain.
If you see a checkmark under the DNS column of your domain, it indicates your domain is successfully connected to your website. If you see a question mark, it indicates the A Record of your domain is not pointed over yet.
I followed the steps above but my website is not live yet?
Updating A/CNAME records can sometimes take upwards of 24-48hrs to fully propagate in some DNS providers.
I followed the steps above but my website is showing the login page to visitors?
Under the Account Settings section, there is an option called Password Protect. When this option is enabled, the entire website will be password protected and require a login to view
If you have any questions or troubles launching your website, please open a new support ticket with our team.